Mature Audiences Only

This blog contains mature subject matter. If you are under 18, please find a more appropriate blog. I suggest Midwest Teen Sex Show or the National Scoliosis Foundation Forums (depending on which google search brought you here). If you are over 18 but find frank discussions of alternative sexuality and relationships uncomfortable, please begin your exploration elsewhere.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Nerve Explosions!

There's something about the way nerves grow back or die off completely that I don't fully understand. It results in sudden, sharp, tingling sensations that my mom calls nerve explosions. In mixed or vanilla circles that seems like a pretty apt description to me.

Given my more recent experiences, I'm inclined to describe them to members of the kink community as phantom piercings.

Imagine if you will my kinky friends, someone sneaks up behind you and pops a needle in your back--no warning, no warm-up, just wham-o. Sometimes this imaginary sadist just pops it in and leaves it alone, the sensation fades pretty quickly and you can pretend like nothing happened. Other times though the person decides to twist it and push on it for a minute or two requiring that you explain to the rest of the room why you're making that particular face and breathing funny. It would be much more entertaining if everyone else could see the glee on imaginary sadist's face too.

For some people this is just a passing phase of the recovery, for others it's a constant annoyance that never goes away. I'm not sure which way things will turn out for me, but right now they seem to be increasing in both frequency and intensity. What fun!

1 comment:

SomewhatBent said...

Heh :-) I've been WAY behind on reading *this* blog (having spent most of the month asleep/sick).

The 'phantom piercing' phenomena has come and gone for me over the years - my surgery was in 1977. There are a couple of places where if it going to happen it'll be /there/. They have interfered with play from time to time because they have altered the way I process sensation over a long period of time. When they're 'hot' there are some kinds of sensation that are just not going to be fun... if that's the case, avoiding the area works. It's usually extremely well localized.

The other 'hot spot' I have is on my hip, and not from the original surgery. It, too, is localized enough that if I want to do something like single-tailing I'll outline to the top.

There is nothing like straight nerve sensation. Having played in many ways over the years I have to say people like us have a whole extra dimension of processing beyond normal kink.

My physical therapist is kink aware, (largely through my educational effort) thanks Be. We started out with a conversation of SSC and went on to "there will be times when there are marks that you can ask about, but don't need to be obligated to report". Getting that out right up front has saved him and me from some potentially complicated obligatory reporting. :-)