Mature Audiences Only

This blog contains mature subject matter. If you are under 18, please find a more appropriate blog. I suggest Midwest Teen Sex Show or the National Scoliosis Foundation Forums (depending on which google search brought you here). If you are over 18 but find frank discussions of alternative sexuality and relationships uncomfortable, please begin your exploration elsewhere.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Of Vampires and Supplements

I donate my first pint of blood tomorrow morning. I used to donate pretty regularly, but haven't been to a blood bank since the early part of this decade. I am partnered to a bisexual man and around here that means my blood is tainted. (I don't really need to type out that whole rant here do I?) I'm a little nervous just because it's one step closer to The Big Day.

One of the things Dr. Williams said I could do to get ready for surgery was to take iron supplements. I managed to avoid picking these up until the beginning of this month. I dutifully took them every day for a week . However I also wound up with more of what I refer to as "brain chemical" problems that week. I had a busy weekend and failed to take my vitamins, but kept taking my prescription med and all of a sudden the brain chemical problems went away. After a second happy week without the vitamins, I was pretty sure there was some problem with one of the two new vitamins I started. While in no way scientific, I discovered some pretty clear anecdotal evidence that my iron supplement was the problem. This was a bummer because with the exception of the brain chemical problems, there really weren't any of the other side effects commonly associated with taking iron (constipation, queesiness etc.). Tonight I'm trying a different brand with a lot fewer extra chemicals added to see what happens. Hooray for experimenting with supplements.

I'll post tomorrow if I have any epiphanies while sitting on the donor's table in the morning.

No comments: