Mature Audiences Only

This blog contains mature subject matter. If you are under 18, please find a more appropriate blog. I suggest Midwest Teen Sex Show or the National Scoliosis Foundation Forums (depending on which google search brought you here). If you are over 18 but find frank discussions of alternative sexuality and relationships uncomfortable, please begin your exploration elsewhere.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Feeling a little screwed

I had my second post-op appointment yesterday. In which I got to point out a discovery I made Sunday night: one of the screws can be easily felt through the skin on my back. I've now been prescribed physical therapy to build up the muscles in my upper back hoping that we can hide it. The other option is to open me up again and take the screw out. Hard work resulting in strong shoulders and a pretty back or more surgery resulting in more time out of work and another scar...hmmm let me think about that for a minute. Honestly, I've never had strong shoulders, disturbingly flexible yes, but strong no. Historically I've been more than a little lazy when it comes to exercise for body maintenance. Part of what I wanted to get out of this surgery journey was a little more dedication to actively taking care of my body. Time to start learning some new habits.

Shortly after the appointment my period started complete with debilitating cramps. I can't take anti-inflammatories because they'll slow the fusion. I only made it an hour and a half at work and quite possibly should not have driven myself home. When I got home to the only pain pills I can take, I took the maximum dose. I felt fine (if a little worn out) for about an hour, then slept for a couple more hours, then woke up and vomited my way through the rest of the night. I've been spending today coddling my cramps with non-chemical remedies and trying to properly apologize to my liver for yesterday's sin. I hope I can work longer days the rest of this week otherwise I'm going to need a lot more help from my coworkers than I thought.

2 comments:

One Person said...

Oooh. That is rough.

I've found that Estroven PMS: http://www.drugstore.com/qxp78674_333181_sespider/estroven/pms.htm

and Traditional Medicinals raspberry leaf tea: http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/?id=30&pid=15

help with my endometriosis a whole bunch. The Estroven PMS can usually be found at the QFC in the old Broadway market, and can be otherwise difficult to track down.

Good luck with your fitness and wellness journey!

Lauren said...

Re: the above comment, I'm sorry to add that Estroven contains ginger, which I seem to remember you being violently allergic to? I second the raspberry leaf tea, though...

Loves you times a billion, sorry that your body is being mean. *gentle pets*