Mature Audiences Only

This blog contains mature subject matter. If you are under 18, please find a more appropriate blog. I suggest Midwest Teen Sex Show or the National Scoliosis Foundation Forums (depending on which google search brought you here). If you are over 18 but find frank discussions of alternative sexuality and relationships uncomfortable, please begin your exploration elsewhere.

Monday, September 1, 2008

All This and Better Please

Posted to LJ on: Apr. 18th, 2008 at 4:21 PM

A lovely and wise friend reminded me to let spirit in on this whole support structure thing. As such I'm going to list some of the best possible outcomes of this surgery so we can keep them in focus and help them happen.

  • Countless opportunities to appreciate the humor, strength, generosity, kindness and love of my amazing family and friends
  • Amazement in the human mind and body's ability to heal and adapt
  • Moments of pride for excelling at tasks once thought too hard to attempt
  • Fast and clean healing of the tissue on my back
  • A stable and healthy spine
  • Commitment to continuing to take care of my body
  • A surplus of financial resources to meet my obligations
  • A surgery and recovery that goes smoother than anyone could reasonably predict

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Thank you so much for recommending that book to me! I've already read most of it.

What made you decide to look into scoliosis surgery? I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to have it, but I'm researching and thinking about it for now.

Red said...

I knew when I finished bracing at 14 that I was in the "grey area" It was going to be difficult for doctors to predict whether my curve would progress in an unhealthy way or stabilize. My mom and I went with the wait'n'see method.

FFW 10 years: I finally made time to get a check-up x-ray done once I settled in with my grown-up doctor. The results came back showing I'd progressed 10 degrees on each curve. This was worrisome, but I didn't really have time or energy to deal with it then.

FFW 5 more years: Yep, the curve is still progressing and now I have the resources to get through surgery and the recovery process. So off I went to start investigating my options. And now there's a date scheduled.