Mature Audiences Only

This blog contains mature subject matter. If you are under 18, please find a more appropriate blog. I suggest Midwest Teen Sex Show or the National Scoliosis Foundation Forums (depending on which google search brought you here). If you are over 18 but find frank discussions of alternative sexuality and relationships uncomfortable, please begin your exploration elsewhere.

Saturday, September 6, 2008

It started

Apparently, the threshold for surgery worries invading my dreams has finally been crossed. The most stressful part of last night's dream was the large number of school-aged children (relatives of some sort) roaming about needing attention and reassurance. Well, that and my inability to figure out how to get into the crocheted afghan/sleeping bag on my gurney or whether to lie face up or face down. I think Russell needs a bigger blanket on his new bed. :)

I'm quickly reaching the point where there's noting left to do but watch the surgery date approach like a freight train. I've been coping these last couple weeks (and this weekend) by busying myself with schedules and to-do lists, but those are both running out of space pretty quickly. My conscious awareness may be finding these kinds of activities helpful, but the sub-conscious mind in charge of body functions is not fooled. It's already calling for preparations. While I haven't significantly changed my eating or activity habits, I'm storing more fat and gaining weight. My body temp, which usually runs at a cool 97.9, has been slowly but steadily increasing over the last week. It was at 99.0 when I went in to donate blood yesterday although I'm not feeling particularly ill. I'm trying to pace myself, have some quiet time, stop fixating. I think I'm going to need more reminders and external support on this goal next week. Fortunately, I have a community of friends and family capable of doing just that.

4 comments:

Autumn Needles said...

Hey there,

Just found your blog this weekend so I thought I'd say hello. I've been thinking about you lots since we hit September, knowing your date is approaching. I know you've got an unbelievably great support network, but I'll throw in my little bit too-I'm happy to make space for a hug or coffee, and post-surgery I make a good service sub for grocery runs, food prep or cleaning, or just a snuggle and I'm happy to lend assistance that way!

Take care, you! Autumn

Red said...

*hugs*
I already counted you as part of that network lady! But thanks for the reminder.

Lunasmiles said...

Red, I just found your blog too, and want to offer a relaxation/meditation program that I used prior to my surgery.

It's from a series called "Relax into Healing" by Nancy Hopps, and this one is specifically for surgery, entitled "Surgery: Mindful Mending".

I've loaded it onto my iPod, so I'd be happy to give you the CD!

Nancy

Red said...

Nancy,
That would be fantastic! Thank you so much. We can exchange emails or phone calls to work out the details.
*hugs*
Red