Mature Audiences Only

This blog contains mature subject matter. If you are under 18, please find a more appropriate blog. I suggest Midwest Teen Sex Show or the National Scoliosis Foundation Forums (depending on which google search brought you here). If you are over 18 but find frank discussions of alternative sexuality and relationships uncomfortable, please begin your exploration elsewhere.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Micro-update and Question List

I came down with a nasty little virus mid-day Thursday and I'm only just coming back up. That means that my blood donation schedule is off now. Oh well, the best laid plans...

Here's an interactive bit:
I'm starting to compile a list of the various things I want to ask my surgeon and his nurse less than 24 hours before surgery. I'll keep a running list on this post. If you have a question you think I should add to the list, drop me a comment. I need help with this people. I'm pretty damn good at gathering information indirectly through intuition and synthesis, but asking direct questions is not my strong suit.

The question list:
  • How long do they expect I'll be in which parts of the hospital? (Surgery, ICU/Recovery, Patient room)
  • Will I see the surgeon before surgery? How soon after will he check in?
  • What are the policies around electronics in patient rooms? (iPod? Laptop? Wireless access?)
  • At what point will the first people come see me after surgery?
  • How do updates of my surgery progress get to family members? (Should they all hang out there all day? Should they rotate through, but keep someone there all day? Is there some pager system in case they all wander off?)
  • Who do I need to tell about my picky diet stuff? How much space is there for making accommodations?
  • Will there be more digital x-rays or other images I can have access to?
  • What items should I bring with or specifically leave home? (I have several lists, but I want to cross reference with what the nurse says on this one.)

8 comments:

JustADom said...

There are some good questions so far. I suggest:

One thing to remember is that health care professionals are bound by HIPPA and perhaps more strict patient privacy policies at that particular location. Specifically ask what you need to do to allow them to give information to your friends, family and loved ones and specifically state who you want the medical staff to be allowed to give information to in writing – this allows them to know what your wishes are and act accordingly.

Make sure all of your important items are listed and labeled as yours. Include serial numbers, etc. Things get misplaced and you may be heavily medicated when you leave.

Good Luck!

Joe

Anonymous said...

well, off the top of my head, some things you may have already thought of:

preop prophylactic antibiotics? if so, what dosing/protocol?

living will / medical POA forcsomeone appropriate, and a copy on file with the hospital?

if you care, if there will be any photos/videos taken of the procedure and what happens to them (for training and whatnot) and if you can get copies if you want them

again if you care, whether students will be observing/assisting/etc

nothing else springs readily to mind.

Anonymous said...

that was me. --neuro

Red said...

Joe,
Thanks for the reminder. I actually already started filling out the paperwork for consent to share information back when I scheduled the surgery in June. It confused the heck out of the office staff when I listed 4 seemingly unrelated people. They were trying to figure out why I was seeing so many different doctors or lawyers. Nope, they're just family. I'm sure there will be another raft of papers to fill out (and explain) during my pre-admission interview on the 30th.

Nero,
I hadn't thought about the antibiotics, how might knowing this change my approach to surgery? I'm pretty sure the POA/living will stuff gets covered in the pre-admission interview, but I'll keep it on the check list just to be sure. I'm all about sharing the pictures around for professional training and my personal use.

Anonymous said...

a lot, but not all, surgical teams will want to start you on antibiotics in advance. exactly how much in advance, if at all, is a decision that ought (in my little world) to be made jointley betweenb pt and doc on the basis of the bets available evidence... i.e. you migh twant to have a say in it.
--neuro

(my peronslly, if i found out they weren't doing antibiotics beforehand, i'd want to know a really, really damned good excuse why before i went through with it.)

Tim Murray said...

Are you allowed to run a Web Cam from your room? :) I would love to see you and wish you well and send kisses after you awake, even if only virtually. :)

I wish I was there to hold your hand for part of it. Know that I am doing so in my heart.

lindsey said...

lots of yes's to your questions, they even have dvd players in the rooms (and flat screens) and xbox's upon request... the doc gave us a cd with all the images...

i might reword or add to the first question something about what your goals will be to be moved between rooms/stages.

the food was fun as you order room service like in a hotel.

my positive thoughts to you

Silver said...

"Can I have a Teddy Bear?"

"Can Max be in charge of my traction rig?"

"Can I bring my own Tenz unit?"

"Will the I.V. be dark or light chocolate?"

"Can Metkat handle the catheterization? Who do we talk to about acquiring the film rights?"

And most importantly...

"How many fingers am I holding up?"

Best wishes,

- S