Mature Audiences Only

This blog contains mature subject matter. If you are under 18, please find a more appropriate blog. I suggest Midwest Teen Sex Show or the National Scoliosis Foundation Forums (depending on which google search brought you here). If you are over 18 but find frank discussions of alternative sexuality and relationships uncomfortable, please begin your exploration elsewhere.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

progress with some challenges

(still Russell)

Red is continuing to do better. She had the catheter out and came off the IV fluid/painkiller mix on Saturday, then both wound drains taken out Sunday morning. Keeping food down has been a real problem though, we've been through a few different oral painkillers and anti-nausea meds. Right now she's back on an IV to boost her sustenance a little and carry some more direct anti-nausea med that I didn't catch what it was. She had nothing at all hooked up to her for a bit though, and I'm hoping this one won't be needed for long. She does seem to be keeping down the latest set of painkillers with some chocolate milk.

She's able to get all the way from prone to sitting up on her own, and from there to standing with just a little help arranging her walker. She's able to get to the bathroom and back with minimal assistance. I've been told that this morning she was able to walk with Max all the way to the elevators and back!

I've been reading everyone's comments to her and she's been very happy to hear them (and I bet ready to hold a computer herself tomorrow). We've had a bunch of people who've been wonderful coming in and helping take care of her. Her mom came in Saturday morning, V spent all last night here, Puck relieved her this morning, A. visited at some point today, both her dad and Autumn were here much of the afternoon, and of course Kaylee and Max have also been here a ton.

7 comments:

Silver said...

Sooooo...

I just got home from the "Fiber Arts Party" (as it says on Matt's family calender) and it's almost Monday morning. ;-)

The WWC meets Monday night at 7pm, and some of us were interested in coming over to visit Red beforehand, if she is feeling up to it.

I think you have my phone number, can you call me and let me know:

1) if she is feeling up to having non-immediate-family company, and

2) where to go to visit her?

I will also check back as often as I can, during work tomorrow, to see if there's an update posted here.

Oh! What are their visiting hours? We would probably be showing up around 5 or 6, but I could come earlier if I needed to.

Thanks handsome!

- Silver

Anonymous said...

Thanks again, Russell, for keeping us in the loop. The stuff Red is going through sounds very difficult. Hopefully the worst of this will pass quickly. I can't even imagine how I would fare in her place. My thoughts are with you, Red. Healing energy is being sent.

Dale

DctrGlenn said...

Red... so glad to hear you are up and moving around and that everything is working... wow, all the way to the elevators and back.. congrats... When you are up to having non-family visitors let us know...

Glenn

Anonymous said...

Gentle hugs to Red, and squeezes to the brave Russell.

Hang in there, you two.

-Maxx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your doing awesome Red. :) healing thoughts and prayers are still being sent your way!

Unknown said...

Wow. I just heard about this as I have been out of the loop for a while. Thank goodness you have Russell, Paige, and so many other good people around you to lend you their strength and warmth.

Best wishes to you as you continue to heal. And may your mega-watt infectious smile continue to shine bright as you move further on the road to less pain and more mobility.

Anonymous said...

Chocolate milk and pain killers, watch out world, Red's got a walker and she intends to wear that baby out!

Thank you, Russell.

Julie