Mature Audiences Only

This blog contains mature subject matter. If you are under 18, please find a more appropriate blog. I suggest Midwest Teen Sex Show or the National Scoliosis Foundation Forums (depending on which google search brought you here). If you are over 18 but find frank discussions of alternative sexuality and relationships uncomfortable, please begin your exploration elsewhere.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Recovery landmarks to-date:

Because I can't seem to focus long enough to answer any of the questions I posed this morning, and in order to avoid getting lost in the past, I thought I'd post a few recovery landmarks.
Most of these have been achieved through redheaded stubborness more than simply feeling better, but they still count.
  • I walked around the block (including the flight of stairs out and back in to my apartment) yesterday.
  • I showered in my own tub this morning. This included washing my hair and shaving my arm-pits. The only assistance I needed was to have Russell turn on and adjust the water (because that requires too much bending still) and then dry my back (because the skin is still very numb and I didn't want to risk any of the stitches).
  • I traded one dose of prescription pain-killers for extra-strength Tylenol
  • Immediately after the shower, I walked from my apartment to Table 219 (about a block away) so Russell and I could have brunch with my dad and one of his friends. This included the aforementioned stairs, some busy sidewalks/crosswalks, sitting up in a kind of hard booth for about an hour, and eating more than I've eaten in any one sitting since surgery.
  • I pooped (a very small amount and with chemical assistance...but it still counts!)
  • I made my own dinner tonight (ok, fine it was Top Ramen but that still meant crouching to get the pot and standing and stirring for a while)
It hasn't been all success and landmarks. Last night and this morning were pretty rough emotionally and I still spend A LOT of time napping and recovering from any of those activities listed above. But for people considering the surgery I think it's important to know that a little more than a week after I'm up and moving and making big progress.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh.

Soon, they will need some rope to tie you down and make you rest. :-)

I read this list, shaking my head in amazement, tons of progress in just a week and a half!!

The emotions are to be expected, Red. It is good to hear that you are tapping into them to push yourself. Please just know that weeping and mourning are a part of the healing process too.

*hugs*
Julie

Red said...

Julie,
I completely adore you! I'm sure I know one or two people with some rope who can help me out should it come to that :)
*hugs* back
Red