Mature Audiences Only

This blog contains mature subject matter. If you are under 18, please find a more appropriate blog. I suggest Midwest Teen Sex Show or the National Scoliosis Foundation Forums (depending on which google search brought you here). If you are over 18 but find frank discussions of alternative sexuality and relationships uncomfortable, please begin your exploration elsewhere.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Coming to you LIVE

I'm typing to you from my most recent surgery-prep purchase:
The new laptop desk/bed tray

On Monday, I had my first insurance-sponsored massage treatment. So besides the fact that I'm getting these massages to loosen up my back and reduce stress before surgery, I'm talking about it here because of a conversation we had during the session. It went something like this:
"So what kinds of physical activity do you do?" He asks
"Oh, walking, a little bit of weight lifting, and I'm taking a belly dance class once a week." I say.
"Ok and what else?"
"I do some yoga before and after working out and I try to get out dancing a few times a month."
"That's nice and what else?"
***I pause here. It's possible he's just trying to make small talk and not really paying attention, but this is clearly my opening to talk about my other activities. There are two schools of thought in the category of sharing kinky proclivities with one's health care providers: "What I do in my bedroom is my business," or "How can I get good health care if my providers don't know what I'm really doing with my body?" I fall pretty solidly into the latter category, although I try not to overshare or make people too uncomfortable. The fact that I spend some regular portion of my free time being twisted into knots and hung from the ceiling seems pretty relevant to massage therapy.
"Well, I do some rope suspension. That's why you may see some marks on the backs of my arms and around my rib cage." This is what I like to call a verbal traffic cone. It's clear that I do something different, but if the other person wants to he or she can just leave it alone and walk around it.
***This is clearly taking a moment to register
"Ah," he laughs a little "kinky stuff." His tone indicates he thinks he's joking.
"Well yes, actually." I respond. If the last sentence was a traffic cone this is an Enter at your own risk sign.
After stammering about for a moment, he did actually enter. He had aparently attended a workshop at the Wetspot before. We spent some time talking about poly and kink and D/s while he did stuff that made me make a lot of the same noises I make in scene. I felt really good physically and mentally after I left. I'm looking forward to going back next week.

No comments: