Mature Audiences Only

This blog contains mature subject matter. If you are under 18, please find a more appropriate blog. I suggest Midwest Teen Sex Show or the National Scoliosis Foundation Forums (depending on which google search brought you here). If you are over 18 but find frank discussions of alternative sexuality and relationships uncomfortable, please begin your exploration elsewhere.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Wrong Answer

Posted to LJ on: May. 16th, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Easy, clear, simple.
I say "Will you steal bone from my hip?"
The Doctor I like and want to work with says "Nope, I'll steal bone from a dead person's hip and add some proteins."
That, however, is not the way the conversation went.

I could try for yet another doctor, but it just seems like more delay tactics at this point.

Do I go with the hot-shot team at Swedish, or the tried and true Doctor at UW?
I can honestly convince myself either way.

I'm sure that after talking to the UW Doc, I'd come to understand why he wants to pull bone from my hip and see that as a perfectly reasonable choice (this is in large part because he's very very experienced and good at communicating with the patient). I'm also guessing UW will be less expensive over all. I would like to rely on the generosity of my mother as little as possible here.

On the other hand, I've heard good things from everyone I know who's had work done at Swedish. The hot shots are not concerned about price so they seem to err on the side of patient comfort. I'm pro-comfort no matter how relative "comfort" might be. Part of the reason I continue to work for $13/hr is I have a fantastic medical benefit package and an HR team that actually wants to help me get the most out of it.

All three present as more-or-less equally competent surgeons.
They all propose the same fusion levels.
They all propose the same surgical approach and hardware use.
They're all clear about the potential complications long-term and short-term

Looks like I may be going back to Dr. Car-salesman after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

keep your head up.....