Mature Audiences Only

This blog contains mature subject matter. If you are under 18, please find a more appropriate blog. I suggest Midwest Teen Sex Show or the National Scoliosis Foundation Forums (depending on which google search brought you here). If you are over 18 but find frank discussions of alternative sexuality and relationships uncomfortable, please begin your exploration elsewhere.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dr. Falicov

Posted to LJ on: May. 14th, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Dr. Ambiguous-name was late--like half an hour late after having the front desk tell me to show up 15 minutes early.
He then proceeded to make the same mistake several other Docs have made--assuming my thoracic curve was compensatory not structural.
I questioned him, he sent me down the hall for more x-rays (if I have cancer at 50 we'll know why).
The bending films showed what Dr. Old could guess just by looking at the first standing x-ray. I do in fact have a double major curve and will need fusion from T-4 to L-3.
I asked him about fusion technique. He talked about pedicle screws just like Dr. Car-salesman and Dr. Old and he would not be taking bone from my hip (YAY!!!!!!!!!).
The main reason I wanted to go to Dr. Ambiguous-name after finding out that he was male, was his stated philosophy of patient education. He then blew that all to hell by sneering at my scoliosis surgery patient's guide book that I brought with me to be sure I asked all the right questions.

Dr. Ambiguous-name has the same hot-shot manner as Dr. Car-salesman and the two often work together on surgeries like this. That has its advantages and disadvantages. Two surgeons=less time under anesthesia. Two hot-shots=twice as many people to feel slightly uncomfortable around.

The next steps;
I'm going to call Dr. Old's office and see if he'll tell me about his bone grafting procedures over the phone. Provided he will also be leaving my hip alone, I'll start scheduling with him. If not, I'll go back to Dr. Car-salesman who at least didn't sneer at my scoliosis surgery patient's guide.

Now, I'm heading to work an hour and a half later than I thought I would. Good god I hope the disaster that started my week sorted itself out.

2 comments:

lindsey said...

hummm... let me start, we have meet at several are grinds.. I'm normally silent on blogs, but wanted to put a good word in for Dr. Falicov. he just repaired my son's femur after a jet skiing accident. Dr. Falicov was excited after with the results. so is my son, he was walking on crutches in less than 12 hours after and placing full weight in 36.

if you want a chat feel free to contact me.

Red said...

Hi Lindsey,
Thanks for the good words about Dr. Falicov. He will be the assistant surgeon on my case. Spines and femurs are pretty different situations. In fact scoliosis and most other spine surgeries are pretty different situations. We're basically taking something that's not essentially broken yet and trying to fix it.
I'll be back at Grind in September. Please take a moment to say hi again if you see me.
Thanks,
Red